Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Vim setup for Chef(Opscode) Cookbooks

I've started programming seriously Chef cookbooks by a while but always felts is something missing ... Well I didn't have

  • jump to definition for any Chef dsl
  • auto completion
  • syntax highlight

Recently I found a solution for this, this is my vim setup(just as easy you can do it in Sublime Text as well) These are the tools in my setup

  • vim
  • vim-chef
  • ripper-tags (by my surprise ctags doesn't work well with ruby files ...)

To setup is as simple as

# vim with pathogen
$ git clone https://github.com/vadv/vim-chef ~/.vim/bundle/vim-chef
$ sudo /opt/chef/embedded/bin/gem install gem-ripper-tags
$ knife cookbook create test_coobook -o .
# create tags - there are better ways to do it - see gem-tags for example
$ ripper-tags -R /opt/chef/embedded/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/chef-11.10.4 -f tags
$ ctags -R -f tags_project
vim 
:set tags=tags,tags_project 
# done 

0 comments: